Run your own bot¶
Run your own bot by following the instructions below.
Note that the cathy package requires Python < 3.7 and
discord.py of version
0.16.12. Python 3.7 introduced backwards incompatible changes with the discord.py package version being used. Python 3.6.x recommended.
Install the Python package:
pip install cathy
Or download this package and install with setup.py:
python setup.py install
Run on the command-line to get help:
Usage: cathy <channel> <token> Options: <channel> Name of channel to chat in (no hashtag) <token> Bot's Discord API token -h --help Show this screen.
# Enter the channel name with no # sign cathy chat-with-cathy 123FFF.SECRET_TOKEN.123FFF
Getting a token¶
If you don’t already know how to get a token, you need to follow a few steps:
- Create an application at https://discordapp.com/developers/applications/
- In the application, go to Bot tab.
- Click add bot user.
- Go to OAuth2 tab, scroll down to Scopes section
- Click on “bot” scope and copy the URL it provides
- Visit the URL in your browser and accept the bot invitation to your server
- Go back to the Bot tab
- Copy the token from the Bot tab.